Thursday, November 4, 2010

Ready, set, GO!

As I continue my transition from student to business owner, I realize how much work and attention to detail it takes to run a business.  From setting up a website to starting the networking process.  A part of my journey will be to write about my experiences in my blog so you'll get to see upcoming events, sneak peeks for all photo shoots, as well as my journey during that photo shoot.  There's a story behind every experience and I think part of the fun is from the experience itself.  I learn so much by reading other photographer blogs and I hope that people learn from me as well.  I'm going to try to dedicate some time at least once or twice per week to update my blog and let everyone know what I'm doing.

I'm in the final stages of setting up my website and soon, I will have that to show new as well as existing clients.  I think the quality of the images looks better on the site than it does on Facebook, as images go through a compression process on Facebook.  I have examples of all genres of photography that I currently specialize in.  I also have my current price list for general portrait photography, which includes maternity, newborn, children, and families.  I have separate price lists for seniors and weddings because these sessions involve different types of work as well as provide different products.  I hope my site serves as an additional means of getting my work out there!

I will soon be starting the application process to become a volunteer photographer for Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep (NILMDTS).  Their website is: www.nowilaymedowntosleep.org.  Newborn photography happens to be my favorite genre to shoot and I want to be a part of something bigger than just me.  I want to do something meaningful with my work and I think the services that photographers provide with NILMDTS is priceless for those that use them.  I've talked to other photographers and not everyone is comfortable doing this type of work.  Dealing with death and the emotions that surround it can be incredibly stressful and heart-breaking to witness.  The photographers go into each session with both professionalism and the heart to make the family's experience as meaningful as possible.  The images are a combination of portraits of the affected baby/child as well as interaction within the family.  These are moments that will be captured by the photographer and will be a special memento to remind the family of the precious life they were a part of.  As stressful as this type of photography can be, I find that it would be incredibly rewarding to know that you made a difference in a family's life by just being there and capturing that moment for them.  I think I have extensive photography knowledge and experience to join this organization but I also feel that I will have the heart to go into each session with respect and caring for each of the families.

No comments: