Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Giving back

I think it's wonderful for everyone to find a cause that's close to their heart and donate either their time or resources.  I wanted to find a cause that I could use my talents in photography to help make a difference.   I just sent in my application to become an Affiliated Photographer for Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep (NILMDTS).  I should know within 8 weeks if my application has been approved.  The application goes through a judging panel where a panel of photographers look at my website and see if my work shows all the skills required for professional photography (the different lighting styles, locations, poses, models, etc.)  I definitely feel like I'm qualified because I worked with every type of light and modifier, models, locations, etc. during my time in school.

NILMDTS is a volunteer organization where photographers come to area hospitals and take remembrance portraits of a baby that is dying so the family can have those precious final moments captured.  These images could include close up shots of tiny fingers and tiny toes, or images of the mother and father snuggling with the baby.  The subject of death is a painful one to talk about and I think even more when you're talking about very young babies.  It's so important for the photographer to be professional and discreet when interacting with the family so they can experience their moment as its happening.

For more information about NILMDTS, please click on the following link:

http://www.nowilaymedowntosleep.org

No comments: