Monday, October 17, 2011

October is Infant and Pregnancy Loss Month

It's been a while since I posted to my blog and I've been thinking of what to post.  The month of October is not only Breast Cancer Awareness month, but it's also Infant and Pregnancy Loss Month as well.  This cause sits close to my heart as I have a strong passion for newborn photography and I'm also an Affiliate Photographer for Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep. (NILMDTS)  www.nowilaymedowntosleep.org

NILMDTS is an amazing volunteer organization founded in 2005.  The organization consists of many volunteer professional photographers that use their skills and knowledge to provide precious portraits to grieving families-families that lose their babies either during pregnancy, at birth, or shortly after.

I started my venture with NILMDTS in November of 2010 and have since done three sessions.  I've done many newborn sessions with my business but I've never encountered a session that has touched me in the way these three sessions have.  I've come out of each session profoundly affected and the babies sit in my mind long after I leave the hospital room.  Editing these sessions is indeed emotional for me.  I felt an incredible sense of responsibility to honor that babies memory and provide these parents with the best portraits I could provide.  There have been moments where I wasn't sure if I could continue the responsibility of this position but my mind and heart keep going back to these parents.  They depend on me to capture that last moment.  For most of these parents, these images are the only portraits they will ever have of their child.  For some, it helps them with their grieving process.

I strongly encourage those that can to help contribute a donation to this incredible cause.

Besides the website listed, you can also learn more about NILMDTS by visiting their page on Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/nilmdts

And finally, one of my favorite quotes:

"How very softly you tiptoed into my world
Almost silently;
Only a moment you stayed
But what an imprint your footprints have left on my heart"

No comments: